We have all had moments in life that determine our future. A simple yes or no can change the course of our destiny. Most of the time we don’t realize the importance of the moment until it has passed. For some of us, we will have moments where our answer can mean living or dying. The choice between using drugs or alcohol is what seals our fate. Here are some instances where saying “no” could have influenced addiction and saved a life.
Tom was your typical boy next door. He excelled at sports in school, and after graduating found a good paying job. He went to parties and drank and smoked marijuana when he was young, but outgrew the scene as he got a bit older. His life seemed to be going per plan when an injury at work sidelined him for a while. He was prescribed painkillers and physical therapy, and once his therapy was complete he told his family that he stopped taking the painkillers. No one knew that addiction was slowly tearing apart his life. He started to have trouble at work and was isolating himself from those around him. One day he was rushed to the hospital in severe pain. He was treated for pancreatitis and scheduled to be released, however, that day never came. Tom went into cardiac arrest the day before he was to go home, and passed away. They discovered that every one of his organs was damaged from the massive amounts of painkillers he had been taking. If he’d only said no to continuing the painkillers and sought help, he’d still be alive today.
Calvin was a 17-year-old boy who loved hanging out with his friends. One day he decided to buy drugs online, through a site that is notorious for selling everything from fake ids and passports to LSD and cocaine. He went online to chat with some of his friends via Skype and told them about the drugs he purchased and what he had taken that day. He said that he had taken LSD, ecstasy, and ketamine. While chatting, he told his friends that he was feeling the effects already, and started to have trouble with his speech. He moved out of view of the camera and went silent. One friend ran and told his mother what had happened and she called an ambulance. They found Calvin dead on the floor when they arrived.
James was a promising college student, with a bright future ahead. He had been in trouble for marijuana use while in high school but agreed to get clean so that he could continue to play sports in school. In college, he was swept up in the drug scene, quickly spiraling into addiction. Shortly after, he went to his parents and said that he needed help. He went to counseling and was soon doing well in recovery. He started playing sports again and became the attentive son and brother that his family knew him to be. The night before he died, he told his mother that he was struggling and wanted to see his counselor the next day. He recognized that he was in trouble, but nevertheless succumbed to his disease of addiction once more. He fatally overdosed, and his mother found him dead in his bed the next morning.
Connor was a popular California teen, who loved to surf and skateboard. Feeling the pressure from some friends, he finally decided to try Spice, or K2, a synthetic drug sometimes compared to marijuana. After taking just one hit, he said that he wasn’t feeling very well and decided to lay down for a while. He never woke up. Connor slipped into a coma and died. His parents are now working to educate teens about the dangers of synthetic drugs.
Laura was a young woman from Georgia who enjoyed sports and was active in her church. She sustained a sports-related injury and soon found herself addicted to painkillers. From there, she found herself in a spiral of heroin addiction, which nearly killed her several times. She sought help from her family and enrolled in an addiction treatment program. Everything seemed to be going accordingly when Laura ran into an old friend one night and decided to hang out. Laura thought that she was strong enough to resist temptation but ended up indulging in alcohol, morphine, and cocaine. She fatally overdosed that night.
Montana was a high school freshman when he started to become curious about drugs. While being treated for an injury he experienced some of the effects from painkillers and wanted to see what else was out there. He smoked marijuana but was caught by his father, who then started doing random drug tests. One weekend his parents went out of town, and Montana and his brothers wanted to do something fun. They got some LSD from a friend and within a short time of ingesting the tablets they were all violently ill and were rushed to the emergency room. It turns out that they had not taken LSD but a dangerous synthetic version known as 251-NBOMe. The brothers were all hospitalized for days, but Montana would never be released. He died while being treated. His brothers now try to educate teens about the dangers of drugs and their synthetic “substitutes”.
In each one of these stories, if the person had said no to drugs, they might still be alive today. Every time we use, we are taking a risk that it will be the last thing that we do. We are not naïve enough to believe that simply asking you to “just say no” to drugs will do the trick. Often times, an individual needs to learn from their own mistakes. What we ask is this: Become educated on the risks; know the facts; and remember, you are not exempt to dangerous or fatal outcomes. Many times, those who die from overdoses never believe it could happen to them. If you or someone you love is suffering from alcoholism or addiction, please seek help before it’s too late.
Contact Clearbrook Today
Are you or a loved one suffering from the disease of addiction? We can help. For more than 4 decades, Clearbrook Treatment Centers has been providing effective drug and alcohol treatment to the struggling individual. With a customized detoxification protocol and inpatient addiction therapy, we can jump start your recovery process. For immediate assistance, contact our Admissions Specialists today.