Christian-Based Therapy for Addiction
Clearbrook Treatment Centers offers Christian counseling for addiction through the Faith in Recovery program. The Faith in Recovery program offers substance abuse treatment services, such as Christian inpatient therapy, telehealth counseling, and more, to those undergoing treatment at either Clearbrook Pennsylvania, or Clearbrook Massachusetts. Our team has incorporated faith-based addiction recovery programs into our repertoire of modalities to help our patients recover from the spiritual repercussions of drug and alcohol abuse as well as the physical and mental.
Why Faith-Based Therapy?
Whenever faith comes into the picture, some people become hesitant because they don’t consider themselves to be religious or spiritual. However, while our program is founded on Christian principles, our goal is not to force any beliefs on our clients but rather offer them spiritual guidance that can help them in their recovery from addiction. Substance abuse impacts every area of a person’s life, and whether you consider yourself to be spiritual or not, your hope or faith in a happy future is also impacted.
Our Christian-based counseling for addiction is founded on the idea of faith, which in the Bible is referred to as the “assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Simply put, faith is the belief in something you believe to be real but can’t physically see. Faith is a reflection of hope, which can have a huge impact on a person’s motivation to get sober and stay sober. Because having hope and faith in sobriety is so important, our Clearbrook rehab facilities have provided patients the opportunity to learn about spirituality and faith and the roles they play in addiction recovery.
How Can a Christian Overcome Addiction?
Overcoming addiction, regardless of one’s religious beliefs, involves a comprehensive and holistic approach. For individuals seeking support within a Christian framework, integrating faith-based principles can be a valuable component. Here are some key considerations:
- Spiritual Guidance: Encourage the individual to seek guidance from their faith community, church leaders, or spiritual mentors. Participating in religious activities and finding strength in spiritual teachings can provide a supportive foundation.
- Prayer: Emphasize the power of prayer as a tool for self-reflection and connection with a higher power. Encourage individuals to incorporate this practice into their daily routines to foster inner strength.
- Community Support: Engage the individual in Christian support groups or recovery programs that integrate faith-based elements. Connecting with like-minded individuals who share similar beliefs can provide a sense of belonging and encouragement.
- Scripture Study: Encourage regular study of relevant scriptures that address themes of redemption, forgiveness, and strength. Drawing inspiration from biblical passages can help individuals find guidance and motivation in their journey toward recovery.
- Professional Counseling: Suggest seeking the assistance of Christian counselors or therapists who can integrate faith-based principles into evidence-based therapy services. This can provide individuals with the tools to address underlying issues contributing to their addiction.
- Accountability Partners: Encourage the formation of accountability partnerships within the Christian community. Having a trusted friend or mentor to provide support, encouragement, and accountability can be instrumental in the recovery process.
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices: Emphasize the importance of adopting a healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise, proper nutrition, and sufficient sleep. These factors contribute to overall well-being and can aid in the recovery process.
- Church Involvement: Actively participating in church activities, volunteering, and engaging in the community can provide a sense of purpose and connection, reducing the risk of relapse.
It’s crucial to recognize that overcoming addiction is a multifaceted process, and seeking professional help alongside spiritual guidance can enhance the chances of successful recovery. Our rehabs in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts combine faith-based principles with evidence-based treatments to create a comprehensive and effective approach to addiction recovery.
Goals of Our Christian Addiction Programs
Patients receiving drug or alcohol addiction treatment at our Northeast recovery centers will have the opportunity to rediscover themselves, learn more about their spirituality, and even develop or re-establish a relationship with God in our Christian counseling sessions. The goals of our Christian-based therapy for addiction include:
- Building a personal connection with a higher power provides a deeper sense of purpose and meaning in one’s life
- Making sense of challenges and hardships in one’s life
- Learning how to use spirituality or religion to deepen one’s faith and develop problem-solving and coping skills
- Using religious or spiritual values to guide daily decisions and actions
- Learning how to forgive others and how to ask for forgiveness
- Connecting with others in the recovery community through group sessions
Our individual and group counseling sessions also teach patients how to manage interpersonal challenges, achieve sobriety, reduce stress, and more. Most importantly, however, our Faith in Recovery program at Clearbrook Treatment Centers offers guidance and hope, both of which are key components of addiction recovery.
What Our Faith-Based Addiction Counseling Includes
The Faith in Recovery program is led by our Chaplain Anthony Acampora. With a Master’s in Ministry degree and an Advanced Diploma in Biblical Studies, Anthony is an excellent leader of our faith-based programs. Below are some services offered to patients in the Faith in Recovery program at Clearbrook.
Faith-Based Addiction Recovery Meetings
Patients interested in our Christian inpatient therapy have the opportunity to sign up for one-on-one sessions with our counselors. These sessions, while offered by the program, are separate amenities that patients must sign up for with Anthony or another team member. Either Anthony or one of our counselors will sit with each patient individually and discuss relapse prevention skills, self-awareness, faith, and other aspects of addiction recovery during sessions. If you feel uncomfortable sharing your struggles in group settings, our individual counseling sessions may be more beneficial.
Christian Telehealth Counseling
In addition to our inpatient services, such as counseling, Bible studies, and local church services, patients at our Clearbrook facilities will also have the option to receive treatment at home. Otherwise referred to as telehealth, our facilities offer online Christian counseling for addiction via Zoom. Rather than commuting to our Massachusetts or Pennsylvania facilities, clients can log into Zoom and attend counseling sessions and other groups with their counselors from the comfort of their homes.