In Articles, Clearbrook Treatment Centers Pennsylvania

Toxicology and autopsy results show that Prince died from an accidental overdose to the highly potent opioid, Fentanyl, according to the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office.

There have been speculations about the singer’s death since he was found unconscious in an elevator at Paisley Park, his residence in Chanhassen, Minnesota. Prince has always had a reputation for clean living, but close friends have reported that the singer has long suffered from injuries caused from years of performing.

Fentanyl, an opioid based drug, was originally intended for cancer patients, but has since been prescribed for a multitude of reasons. Those reasons can include things such as surgery, something Prince has had to undergo several times in the past. The opioid can now also be manufactured and distributed illegally, and is believed to have contributed to the rise in overdose deaths in the U.S. According to DEA, Fentanyl is 25-50 times more potent than heroin and 50-100 times more potent than morphine.

Since Prince’s untimely death, countless amounts of articles have come out questioning his lifestyle. The first report noted less than a week before he died, Prince had an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois, because he was found unconscious on his plane. Anonymous sources say first responders gave him a shot of Narcan, the overdose reversal drug.

It was then revealed the performer was to be seen by a doctor who would prescribe him Buprenorphine. Buprenorphine, also known as Suboxone, is meant to aid in withdrawal symptoms from opioid drugs. Since Dr. Howard Kornfeld, the prescribing doctor, could not see Prince immediately, he sent his son Andrew Kornfeld to Minnesota on the first redeye. Unfortunately, by that point, it was too late. Andrew Kornfeld, who is currently not a licensed practitioner, was among those who found the artist dead in his elevator.

It was also reported that Prince was treated by a Dr. Michael Todd Schulenberg, twice in the month of April. The medications in which Dr. Schulenberg prescribed, have not yet been revealed.

Currently, an investigation is taking place, to find out whether or not the artist obtained the fentanyl legitimately. It is safe to say, if Prince purchased the opioid illegally, he did not meet a drug dealer himself. Thus, investigators are looking into his inner circle of staff and friends.

According to federal law, when someone dies from illegally purchased fentanyl, it can carry up to a 20 year prison term for the one responsible for distribution.

Prince was known for many things. He was an icon; a musical legend. Unfortunately, he suffered from an addiction that is killing thousands of Americans. So what will his legacy be? Will we look at him as the stereotypical junkie who just couldn’t get it together, or will see Prince for who he is really was? A legend who suffered from the disease of addiction, who at the end, seemed to want to get better. Sadly, opioid addiction does not wait for you to be ready. For Prince, it killed him the day before helped arrived. We must remember it is never too soon to ask for help, but for some, it could be too late.

At Clearbrook, we offer a safe medical detox and treatment for opioid addiction. For over 40 years, we have been able to rehabilitate thousands of individuals and help them repair their shattered lives. If you are struggling from opioid addiction and do not want to suffer anymore, please do not wait until it is too late. Contact our Admissions Specialists and begin on the road to recovery.




Recent Posts
sober young people | Clearbrook Treatment Centersaddiction | Clearbrook Treatment Centers